Ease of Correspondence with Doctor

Doctor's Friendliness and Courtesy

Clarity of Doctor's Explanations

Accuracy of Doctor's Predictions

Doctor's Apparent Knowledge of Procedure

Doctor's Availability During Recovery

Rate Your Cosmetic Outcome

Would Recommend to Others

I'm 26 and on 14th July, 2016 I had Nuss/Reverse Nuss procedure at Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch. Traveled from Latvia,

I have chest deformity since my childhood, that came more and more visible and troubling year by year. In 2013 got recommendations to visit prof. Schaarschmidt from different forums. So then I first get in touch with prof. I was little bit scary by receiving info from prof. that my case is severe and it must be corrected because Latvian doctors didn't pay attention on my chest,

On 2015 I finally visited prof. in Berlin. I was very surprised for such kindly and professional conversation! I really understood that this prof. knows what he is talking about and I was very relief when finally somebody understood the problems connected with my chest. During the visit prof.also suggested to get S2 certificate from Latvia to cover the operation costs.
Diagnosis after a visit: severe right symmetric combine chest deformity with right sided upper pectus carinatum and left sided lower pectus excavatum. Hight of the pectus carinatum 7cm, dept of the pectus excavatum 4cm.
Therapy suggested: combined reverse Nuss/ Nuss procedure with 2 bars

After a visit I made a decision to correct chest deformity while I'm quite young to reach better results. For my surprise I managed also to get S2 sertificate to cover the costs. My operation was planned on 14th of July and I received positive answer about S2 just 1 week before the operation. So I didn't have time to start to worry about the operation- I was so happy about it- so I quickly bought the plane tickets and prepared my suitcase.

I arrived at hospital on one day before surgery and left hospital on 28th of July. Few days more as planned before because of water in my lungs.
I want to say a big THANK YOU to a team of Intensive Care Center! I was there for 6 days after operation. My surgery lasted for 4,5 hours. First days were really horrible because of huge pain in chest and back, also because of big drains in both sides. During these 6 days it was a big fight to get well. But despite of that- already of next day- I started to walk!! Can't imagine how it's possible. Next day or some days later after surgery physiotherapist visited me and helped to reduce the back pain with acupuncture massage that was really excellent! And also later- every day physiotherapist visited me to help sleep on sides, turn in bed, walking, breathing exercises. Doctors gave me also 3 respiratory training tools so I could train my lungs by my own every hour. Very good pain medications were given all the time. In case of questions- I had answers immediately. So positive and responsive attitude of doctors is the best that patient can wish after so complicated surgery! I really had a feeling that they love their job!

I had temperature all the time after surgery and some days later I had also fever. Doctors explained it because of huge pain. With addition pain medications I got over the fever and then finally I was moved to simple station where I was until I got out of the hospital.
During the recovery I had different problems that can appear after such complicated surgeries. But all problems was solved quickly. Only water in my lungs was not so easy- I had 2 punctures. And I also left hospital with little amount of water, but it seems that soon it will be ok with it finally.

I was positively surprised that part of a personnel in hospital knows English, Russian very well. Also one woman knew Latvian! This really eased communication with doctors because I don't speak German. Needless to say that prof.Schaarschmidt knows English perfect! Just some nurses in simple station was sometimes impolite and unresponsive because I didn't speak German.
What's more, I have food intolerance to many food, but for me always was served special food- so I didn't need to worry about my allergies during the hospital stay.

General about the surgery: I'm very satisfied with the result, just a little bit sad that my upper pectus carinatum is still here. But I really understand that my case was not easy. But prof. explained that it can be fixed during the surgery when the bars will be removed. So I need to wait some more years until the excellent result.
Despite of that I have new chest, new hope for better life! I can say good-by to my previous chest deformities. Such a long time ago it was just a dream but now reality!

I want to say GREATEST THANKS to prof.Schaarschmidt for:
-professionalism
- knowledge and experience
- encouragement
- the courage to solve tough cases
- kindness and responsiveness
- positive smile

I highly recommend prof. Schaarschmidt if you have chest deformities!

Your Pectus Information

Condition
Other
Date of initial surgery/procedure
July 14, 2016
Report this review Was this review helpful? 14 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
February 02, 2017
Hi there,

What was the price and process of this being international?
J
justinn
November 14, 2018
Hi,

Sorry for late response. I was lucky and all main surgery costs were covered by S2 issued by Latvian Health Department. S2 form allows to receive a medical treatment abroad (in European Union). I had to pay just 10eur/day for staying in hospital. Rest covered by this S2. Please check European directives and laws: EC No.883/2004, No. 987/2009. And then you should turn to Health Department in your town country how these laws can be applied to your case.
In case of questions please contact me: [email protected]
J
Jansone
2 results - showing 1 - 2