Ease of Correspondence with Doctor

Doctor's Friendliness and Courtesy

Clarity of Doctor's Explanations

Accuracy of Doctor's Predictions

Doctor's Apparent Knowledge of Procedure

Doctor's Availability During Recovery

Rate Your Cosmetic Outcome

Would Recommend to Others

I am 35 years old and I just had by PE repaired 3 months ago by the excellent Prof. Klaus Schaarschmidt at Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch.
I had a medium sized PE but have been suffering from poor posture/back pain, muscle weakness around the chest area, unexplained tachycardia and the appearance of a weird looking hole in my chest.
I have been wanting to make it go away since I was 25 years old, but I was told by many doctors that the procedure was too complex and that I should live with it.
At 35, my symptoms seemed to have been getting worst, I was committed at this point to proceed with fixing my PE via the Nuss Procedure.
After researching all over the internet for the best doctor for performing this procedure, I was convinced that Prof. Schaarschmidt was the best choice.

I contacted Prof Schaarschmidt and after a few mails, I booked my operation at the Helios Klinikum Berlion-Buch.
I arrived at the hospital a day before my surgery and had my preliminary tests. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of knowledge and professionalism in all doctors that I met that day.
I also got a chance to meet with Prof Schaarschmidt. He had a quick look at my chest and we discussed about the surgery. Although the meeting was short, I was relieved since I was a bit worried having only talked to him via emails. He seemed really kind and caring and left me with a very positive impression

The next day, the day of the operation, the nurses took me to the operation room shortly after waking up. The anaesthetist put the anaesthetics and a surgeon covered me with a wonderful warm blanket which was the last thing I remember.
The surgery lasted around 4 hours and it was a success!. I woke up feeling weirdly uncomfortable with 2 bars along my chest and a lot of tubes going in and out of me. It is hard to describe the feeling, it wasnt so much the pain, it sort of felt like a boa constrictor was wrapped around me really tight and felt very difficult expanding my upper chest to breathe. But, my chest looked completely dent free!! It did look a bit too flat at that point but thankfully it looks alot more natural today.
I stayed in the intensive care unit for 5 days. During this period I had a lot of pain, most of it was actually coming from one of the large suction tubes that where inserted along my back rather than from the surgery itself. I was lying on this tube all this time which was compressing against my back muscles.

On the 5th day, the suction tubes were removed, which was a big relieve, and I was moved the the normal ward. From there on the pain was alot more manageable and I got better every day. The nurses where great, they where very experienced with patients having this type of surgery.
There was a physiotherapist visiting me daily, and showing/helping me do breathing excercises, walking, bicycling and some stretching exercises

I am very pleased with my decision to have this surgery with Prof Shaarschmidt. I had a very pleasant experience throughout my stay at the Helios hospital. All staff where super professional and knew what they where doing.
I am very pleased with the results, my chest now looks great! and my posture/back and heart problems seem to have subsided.

Thank you Prof Schaarschmidt!!

Nuss Procedure with Prof Schaarschmidt

Your Pectus Information

Condition
Pectus Excavatum
Pre-Surgery Haller Index
Report this review Was this review helpful? 6 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or