Ease of Correspondence with Doctor

Doctor's Friendliness and Courtesy

Clarity of Doctor's Explanations

Accuracy of Doctor's Predictions

Doctor's Apparent Knowledge of Procedure

Doctor's Availability During Recovery

Rate Your Cosmetic Outcome

Would Recommend to Others

I developed PE in my early teens and lived with the symptoms of shortness of breath, fatigability, constant pressure discomfort, chest and back pain felt. In 2016 at age 44, I felt certain that the symptoms were getting worse and started looking more seriously at having my PE repaired.

I did a lot of research and ended up looking overseas for a surgeon than I could be confident I would have good outcome with.

I contacted Professor Schaarscmidt, who was very helpful. He described my condition as very severe right asymmetric PE, with right sternal torsion, with upper PE and rib flaring on both sides.

I then had a CT scan which confirmed that I had a Haller index of 8.1, with only 2.3 cm between my sternum and my spine, the CT also revealed right ventricular compression and right aortal compression. The lung function tests were 65% of the norm.

In spite of my age and the severity of my PE, Prof Schaarscmidt was very confident that he could correct my PE and the rib flare. At the time, he had done over 1,650 Nuss repairs in patients aged 12 to 58 years of age, 120-150 Nuss procedures a year. I had confidence that I was putting myself in very capable and experienced hands.

I flew to Berlin in late November 2016 and had a few days sightseeing before going to the Helios Clinic in Buch about 40 minutes’ drive north east of the city. I met Prof Schaarscmidt the day before my surgery and after looking at my chest we discussed the surgery and expected positive outcome.

The surgery was successful and I had no complications. It took me a few days to get a look at my chest, but when I finally did I was very pleased with the outcome. Both the PE and rib flare were completely gone. The recovery was not easy, especially if you are older and you have to push yourself to get mobile again. The more mobile you are the faster the recovery. Professor Schaarschmidt emphasized this every time he visited, which helped me to push to get mobile and make use of my new lung space!

I began physio which consisted of yoga, stretches and aerobic exercise on the exercise bike. I also walked around the hospital as much as possible and kept up with the three breathing exercise devices they give you.

The doctors, nurses and physiotherapist in particular were very familiar with the Nuss procedure recovery process. I believe this was a key benefit to compliment Prof Schaarschmidts’ experience.

At all times I found Prof Schaarscmidt to be a very kind, caring and professional surgeon and I felt that I could have absolute confidence in his expertise. I had 12 days recovering in the Helios clinic before flying back to Australia.

Considering how severe my PE was, I have come out with a result that is close to perfect.
It is so easy to breathe now that it feels almost as if another person is breathing for me. I can no longer feel my heart beating through my ribs and neck.

After three months post-surgery, I am walking, jogging and weight training again. While my body is still adjusting, I feel like the surgery has given me a new lease on life; my only regret being not having the PE repair sooner.

It was an absolute pleasure dealing with Prof Schaarschmidt. I can without hesitation recommend him as a highly skilled and experienced surgeon, who has a very kind and approachable manner.

Your Pectus Information

Condition
Pectus Excavatum
Pre-Surgery Haller Index
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or