Ease of Correspondence with Doctor

Doctor's Friendliness and Courtesy

Clarity of Doctor's Explanations

Accuracy of Doctor's Predictions

Doctor's Apparent Knowledge of Procedure

Doctor's Availability During Recovery

Rate Your Cosmetic Outcome

Would Recommend to Others

Coming up for bar removal in July 2017, I thought it apt to finally rate the work of my surgeon, Professor Klaus Schaarschmidt.

Age 22 was the first time in my life that I was able to afford the surgery to correct my PC. Once I was assured of funds, I had the tricky task of choosing a surgeon. My main options were Dr Ivan Schewitz in my home country South Africa, Dr Dawn Jaroszewski in Arizona, USA, and Professor Schaar in Berlin, Germany.

Ultimately I wanted to have the best surgeon. However in my mind there was nothing between Schaar and Dr J, they were both the best and so it became a question of travel time in case of complications or emergency. Berlin is much closer to South Africa and so I was happy to book a surgery date with the much acclaimed and pioneering Professor Schaar. I must say that in terms of setting and scenery, Berlin was also a far more attractive option. The hospital and the grounds of Helios are quite something! And the cafeteria is loaded with healthy and very well prepared food. I can't wait to go back just to have 5/6 days of solid eating in the cafeteria.

Anyways, my surgery went as planned and my recovery from the get go was pretty strong. I had the physiotherapists quite impressed, especially Sven.

9 days after surgery I was released from Helios and continued to tour Germany and the rest of Europe for a further 3 weeks before heading home. I was off all painkillers by the time I left hospital and so I managed to have a really nice vacation with sightseeing after my surgery.

Recovery continued very well up until the 4 month mark, when I managed to have a car accident with 2 other cars and a wall at 80km/h. Front and side airbags popped. The bar and stabilizers didn't move one bit, and I felt 100%. After about 48 hours I could feel irritation and inflammation around the stabilizers which lasted for a good 2 months. I was very impressed with how secure the bar felt!

Now I await bar removal in July 2017. I thought about leaving it in for another year as I don't even realize the bar is there, but I think 2 years is sufficient for PC repair.

Overall I had an excellent experience with Professor Schaar and his staff at Helios. I hope everything goes smoothly at bar removal so that I can end my pectus journey on a high note, as we all deserve!

Your Pectus Information

Condition
Pectus Carinatum
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
March 31, 2017
How much was the surgery?
J
justinn
April 08, 2017
Hi Justin, surgery was €23600 in 2015. I know prices went up slightly this year, 2017. Any more questions, feel free to ask!
D
Denv77
2 results - showing 1 - 2